Palos Verdes Friends Of The Library’s Annual Gala “Mardi Gras”
Palos Verdes home owners who are looking for great night out, should look no further than the Peninsula Friends of the Library’s annual fundraiser themed Mardi Gras “A Night on Bourbon Street” on Saturday, March 9, 2019, from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. You will enjoy an evening of delicious regional food and toe-tapping music. Laissez les bons temps rouler! (Let the good times roll!) This is the Friends’ annual fundraiser which helps fund the Palos Verdes Library District each year.
The party will be happening at the Peninsula Center Library with food being supplied by Primal Alchemy, the first Southern California chef-owned, food-forward catering company focusing on local, seasonal cuisine utilizing sustainable practices. The New Orleans Traditional Jazz Band which has been featured at Disneyland and many other venues, will provide the entertainment. This is a great way to enjoy the evening while supporting our Palos Verdes community.
The money that is raised by the Friends group through memberships, donations, gift shop sales, used book sales, and fundraising events provides approximately $400,000 yearly for PVLD. Here are some of the important library services and programs these funds support:
- Sunday hours at the Peninsula Center Library
- Summer Reading Program
- Internet and Wi-Fi access at all three libraries
- Special purchases of items for the library collections, furnishings, and equipment
- The Annex, a safe meeting place for teens
- Story time programs
- eBooks, eMagazines, and subscriptions to online services
- Movie screenings, concerts, and community events
- Art exhibits
- Library gift shop
- On-line language programs
- Used Book Sales which generate tens of thousands of dollars annually
- Renovation and maintenance of PVLD facilities
- Endowment fund to support PVLD’s long-term capital and operating needs
- Books for Troops program
To read my prior article on the Palos Verdes Library District click here.
Photo courtesy of the Palos Verdes Library District