Palos Verdes homes owners welcome the re-opening of Malaga Cove School which will house the Palos Verdes Peninsula Unified School District offices. The school was built in 1926 and was the Peninsula’s first permanent school and is one of the city’s historical buildings. It was closed in 1991 due to declining enrollment.
“The restoration kept period details and added elevators and other features to comply with federal disability law” according to the Daily Breeze. Yet, it was also built to current state standards for schools should the building need to be used in the future as a school.
Currently, all district departments have moved to Malaga Cove School with the exception of ESL (English as Second Language) Testing and Pupil Services which will move over shortly from Valmonte School. The Costume Closet and Peninsula Education Foundation will also be located at the newly reopened Malaga Cove School. Malaga Cove School is located at 375 Via Almar, Palos Verdes Estates.