One of Palos Verdes Peninsula’s interesting architectural structures is the Point Fermin Lighthouse located in San Pedro. Built in 1874, the Point Fermin Lighthouse was the first navigational source of light in the San Pedro Bay. Phineas Banning had petitioned the Federal Government along with several businessmen in 1854 to place a lighthouse on the point. After 20 years it was finally built in what is known as the Stick Victorian Style which is a simpler design than the later Victorian period. The lighthouse did not have a fog-signalling apparatus and was a one keeper station until 1941 when all coastal lights were extinguished as protection against army attacks. It served as an aid to safe passage between the Channel Islands and the harbor. After the war, the light remained off and the structure fell into disrepair. However, in 1974 with the help of many volunteers the building was brought back to its original charm for it’s centennial celebration. Now the building is surrounded by colorful flower gardens, and is one of the oldest lighthouses on the West Coast.
The Point Fermin Lighthouse is open Tuesday through Sunday from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. Guided tours are offered at 1:00, 2:00 and 3:00 p.m. The admission is free, however, a donation is requested from visitors. Children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult, and no child under 40 inches tall will be admitted to the tower. For more information contact (310) 241-0684.
The Point Fermin Lighthouse and Museum is located at 807 W. Paseo Del Mar, San Pedro.
Photo courtesy of Point Fermin Lighthouse