The City of Palos Verdes recently published an article in its Newsletter for Palos Verdes homes owners on Summer Safety Tips. It’s a good reminder on how to celebrate the warm weather safely. Their tips were:
1) Always wear protective gear when riding a bike or scooter, rollerblading or skateboarding.
2) Stay safe in the sun (and clouds) by wearing sunscreen of at least SPF 15. Be sure it protects against both UVA and UVB rays. Always remember that the sun is the strongest between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
3) Stay hydrated! Drink plenty of hydrating fluids throughout the day. In extreme temperatures, intensive activity should be kept to a minimum.
4) Always supervise children in or around water. Infants and toddlers should be within an arm’s reach from an adult that can swim.
5) Be aware of an increase in fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes. Wear repellent with a low concentration of DEET and spray on the outside of clothing and on unbroken skin.
6) Remove all flammable hazards, such as dead brush and vegetation, around your home and property.
8) If you have a fire hydrant on your property, be sure to clear the area surrounding the hydrant to ensure easy access.
Photo courtesy of the Palos Verdes Peninsula Land Conservancy