Palos Verdes Library District January & February 2022 Activities!
Palos Verdes homes owners appreciate that the Palos Verdes Library District has expanded its activities for all of us to enjoy. Below are just a few of the opportunities that will take place in January and February 2022.
1000 Books Before Kindergarten
1000 books sounds like a lot of reading, but it is shown that reading just one book a day with your child will allow you to read 1000 books in just 3 years. This is a self paced, year round challenge that will include favorites reads over and over. Reading helps get your children ready for school and they even send out prizes as you reach 200 book milestones. To find out more click here.
Take and Make
Drop by any PVLD library and pick up a kit with supplies and instructions for making a creative art or science project. Take it home, and with your own basic supplies like glue sticks and crayons, you can create your own masterpiece. A new project will be available every two weeks; current project is a Straw Rocket.
Books By Mail
PVLD’s Books By Mail service is for home bound Peninsula residents residing in zip codes 90274 and 90275 who are unable to travel to the library or do not have a friend or relative to check out library materials on their behalf.
How it works:
- Patrons receive deliveries through the U.S. Postal Service and send their materials back using the same bag and a pre-paid postage stamp included in the delivery. Patrons may request specific materials or request librarians curate materials for them based on the Reading Preferences Survey. Holds must be placed with the librarian and not on a personal account. Patrons may check out books (including large print), audiobooks, and DVDs. DVD Rental fees apply. Renewals are allowed as long as no other patrons have a hold on the item. A new shipment of materials are sent once the previous shipment has been returned to the library by the Postal Service. Participants may complete an online application or may download, print, and mail the below application to register for the Books By Mail service. Once your application has been approved you will receive an email or phone call confirming your participation in the service. For more information contact the Books by Mail Coordinator at email@example.com, or call 310-377-9584 x 601.
Lets Talk Music
This event will take place on Saturday, February 26, 2022, from 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the Peninsula Center Library’s Community Room. This is a chance to listen and discuss a program of selected albums from Rolling Stone’s top albums of all time. Each month they will be discussing three albums. February’s pick is #26 Horses.
Art exhibit Are You Thinking What I’m Thinking?
The Malaga Cove Library Book Club meets on the first Saturday of the month at 2:00 p.m. All are welcome to join at any time. Each month they will read and discuss a single novel. On January 8, 2022, they will be discussing Oh William by Elizabeth Strout. On February 5, 2022, the novel to be discussed will be The Night Watchman by Louise Erdich, and March 5, 2022, will be The Promise by Damon Galbut.
Miraleste Virtual Book Club
The Miraleste Virtual Book Club is on the second Saturday of every month. Each month read a different book! For more information and registration click here. Below is the reading list for the year.
- January 8, 2022: Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger
- February 12, 2022: The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
- March 12, 2022: The Plot by Jean Hanff Korelitz
- April 9, 2022: How the Penguins Saved Veronica by Hazel Prior
- May 14, 2022: [TBD]
- June 11, 2022: Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro
- July 9, 2022: Suspect by Robert Crais
- August 13, 2022: The Dutch House by Ann Patchett
- September 10, 2022: The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides
- October 8, 2022: The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- November 12, 2022: Oh William! by Elizabeth Strout
- December 10, 2022: [Share-A-Book/Pick-A-Book]
To read my prior article on Palos Verdes Library District click here.
Photo courtesy of the Palos Verdes Library District