Palos Verdes Library District August 2022 Activities!
Palos Verdes homes owners are happy that the Palos Verdes Library District has expanded its activities. Below are just a few of the opportunities that will take place in August 2022.
Summer Read-a-Palooza continues in August!
Summer is winding down, but you can still join in the Summer Read-a-Palooza. Just drop by any library to pick up a game sheet. Its easy and fun, and there’s still plenty of time to read, try awesome activities and collect all new iron on souvenir patches.
Creation Station August 2, 2022, at Peninsula Center
Drop by the Community room anytime between 1:00 and 3:00 p.m., and the library will provide all sorts of art materials, but you must provide the imagination. You get to decide, create and enjoy the process of creation, so that you can make anything. This is recommended for ages 4 and up.
Out of this World, August 4, 2022, at Malaga Cove
Here you can explore space, in the library at this fun drop-in program. Come anytime between 1:00 and 3:00 p.m. for out of this world activities, crafts, and extraterrestrial fun. This is recommended for ages 4 and up.
Rooftop Movie: Troop Beverly Hills
On Friday, August 5, 2022, from 8:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. at the Peninsula Center Library Rooftop, join the fun for an outdoor screening of “Troop Beverly Hills” (1989) starring Shelley Long, Craig T. Nelson and Mary Gross. This movie is perfect for the whole family. Chairs will be available but feel free to bring your own blankets, chairs and snacks. Recommended for all ages.
Comic Hero Quote by Chris C.
Art in Our Library is pleased to present “Comic Hero Quote” from August 5 to September 9, 2022, at the Peninsula Center Library. “I’ve always loved comics and how they can inspire young and old. The process of creating this art brings me back to childhood and helps me remember the excitement of seeing all my heroes on brightly colored comic strips. Fusing the comics with bold and motivating ideas just seemed natural, and so fun to design. You are your own hero!” – Chris C.
Books By Mail
PVLD’s Books By Mail service is for home bound Peninsula residents residing in zip codes 90274 and 90275 who are unable to travel to the library or do not have a friend or relative to check out library materials on their behalf.
How it works:
- Patrons receive deliveries through the U.S. Postal Service and send their materials back using the same bag and a pre-paid postage stamp included in the delivery. Patrons may request specific materials or request librarians curate materials for them based on the Reading Preferences Survey. Holds must be placed with the librarian and not online through a personal account. Patrons may check out books (including large print), audiobooks, and DVDs. DVD Rental fees apply. Renewals are allowed as long as no other patrons have a hold on the item. A new shipment of materials are sent once the previous shipment has been returned to the library by the Postal Service. Participants may complete an online application or may download, print, and mail the application to register for the Books By Mail service. Once your application has been approved you will receive an email or phone call confirming your participation in the service. For more information contact the Books by Mail Coordinator at email@example.com or call 310-377-9584 x 601.
Lets Talk Music
On Thursday, August 4, 2022, from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., you can enjoy the sounds of The Sam Graham Trio (Jazz concert) in the Peninsula Center Library Community Room. Drawing on an extensive repertoire of jazz standards, The Sam Graham Trio also explores roots in pop and rock music with innovative and surprising adaptions of unexpected songs. This is “Jazz for Moderns.”
Art Exhibition Featuring Raphaele Cohen-Bacry
This exhibit is currently taking place and goes through Monday, August 29, 2022, at the Malaga Cove Library Gallery Exhibit Area. Raphaele is a painter and a mixed media artist. She was born and raised in Paris, France, where she studied painting and printmaking while completing her Doctorate in pharmacology and a degree in performing arts. She worked in her Parisian studio for several years, spending time in NYC to work with other artists. She moved permanently to the United States in 2003 and shows her work all around the country.
The Malaga Cove Library Book Club meets on the first Saturday of the month at 2:00 p.m. All are welcome to join. Each month they will read and discuss a single novel. On August 6, 2022, they will be discussing The Henna Artist by Alka Joshi.
Miraleste Virtual Book Club
The Miraleste Virtual Book Club is on the second Saturday of every month. (August 13, 2022) Each month read a different book! For more information and registration click here. Below is the reading list for the year.
- August 13, 2022: The Dutch House by Ann Patchett
- September 10, 2022: The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides
- October 8, 2022: The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- November 12, 2022: Oh William! by Elizabeth Strout
- December 10, 2022: [Share-A-Book/Pick-A-Book]
To read my prior article on Palos Verdes Library District click here.
Photo courtesy of the Palos Verdes Library District